Monday, July 16, 2012

Empty Space

My parents are painting and putting new flooring in their bedroom. The large room is completely empty, and has much better acoustics than anywhere else in the house. So last night I sat alone on the plywood with my guitar, and sang. I sang songs I needed to sing, with words I needed to hear. I strummed different chords, remembering song after song, some old, and some new. And then I remembered. It was a song I'd written the summer before, during pain, loneliness and heartache. Those same feelings were resurfacing, so as I watched the glowing sunset out the window, I sang the song that has become my prayer.

I know your love should be enough
I know I shouldn't need more
But I still yearn for what I've lost
I'm still bitter for the pain I bore

I know your arms are holding me
But they're only in my mind
I miss what was here, what was real
I guess healing takes some time

So don't give up on me
Please don't give up on me

Lord, I know you've got some plans
I'm not sure if this was in them
But it still hurts and all I'm longing for
Is someone to take my hand

So don't give up on me
Please don't give up on me

Pick me up and carry me
Into your undying love
Let your awesome grace surround me
Don't ever let me leave

...and don't give up on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment